A small introduction
Web Developer, Editor, Journalist
Seoul is one of the largest, fastest-growing cities in the world. Its energy grabs you and won't let you go. That's why I've been here for more than 10 years. What can I say other than I like this place?
And I've spent that time stubbornly putting my master's degree in information technology to use here any way I can, from reporting on technology developments in South Korea to editing scientific papers produced by its academics and also working to change the face of Korean-language web sites one domain at a time. I've even tried my hand at starting a small company or two myself.
I can do things like put an entire company intranet together, from email to file sharing to internal company chat, all synchronized over phone, laptop and Internet. I can create a company's web presence in all aspects. I can write a company's online copy and spread its online presence throughout the entire Internet. I can make sure the company connects with journalist contacts so that they can effectively communicate in traditional media. I can be a one-man computing infrastructure and communications expert, or, alternatively, supervise a team of people doing the same thing.
Let me help you and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
A Few Interesting
a count of days
Years in Korea
Web Projects Completed
Scientific Papers Edited
News Articles Edited
- Working as a part of a 24-hour news coverage team taking on and passing off responsibilities to a diverse international network of always-on news experts 7 days a week, 24 hours a day
- Editing newswire stories for grammar, content, catchiness, and factual accuracy after they are written and reviewed by the desk heads, then passing them on to the managing editor
- Editing photo captions when they are written, then passing them onto the head caption editor
Business Korea Magazine
- Created new magazine web site at www.businesskorea.co.kr
- Raised web site’s monthly visitor numbers from approximately 10,000 visitors per year in 2013 to 2 million visitors per year in 2015
- Managed company’s IT infrastructure in the Amazon web Services cloud
- Created, managed web consulting department by finding clients, negotiating contracts, managing deliverables
- Edited online and print magazine articles written by staff
- Sold online, print advertisements to advertisers
- Interviewed, wrote articles about businesses, universities, international organizations in several countries
- Full body of written work can be seen here
iwonder Creative Design
Information Technology Director
- Created web sites, web applications for several company clients
- Managed company’s IT infrastructure in the Amazon Web Services cloud
- Found clients for web, design, and video contracts
- Managed outsourcing of selected IT projects to contractors in Cuba and India
- Managed growth of company’s nascent IT department
Global Peace Festival Foundation
- Created new web site presence for non-profit organization GPFF
- Consolidated existing sites for more effectiveness
- Developed long-term web presence plan
Founder, Web Director
- Founded marketing, web development company w/ graphic designer partner
- Created 6 functional, modern web sites for clients throughout the year
- Edited English-language documents, presentations for clients
- Wrote articles, press releases, company descriptions
- Created pamphlets, posters, catalogs, t-shirts for marketing clients
Editor, Marketing Manager
- Edited scientific papers in medical, biotechnology, and information technology fields for many universities and research institutes in South Korea
- Developed and presented a 6-part, 18 hour lecture series on how to write a good scientific paper at several universities in South Korea
Zenitum Entertainment Computing
- Wrote press releases, engaged in marketing campaigns using Google Ads
- Managed projects, work flow, schedules for entire company
- Designed and critiqued various software ideas from a marketing perspective
Korea IT Times
- Wrote daily editorials and news articles for the magazine
- Copy-edited each monthly issue of the magazine
American Intercontinental University
Master of Science in Information Technology
- Studied courses in HTML, CSS, MYSQL Database Administration, networking best practices, and management
- Graduated with 3.9 GPA
Loma Linda University
Biomedical Sciences Certificate
- Completed 50% of the coursework required for Master's of Science in Anatomy
Southwestern Adventist University
Bachelor of Science in Biology
- Studied biological sciences
- Graduated with a 3.2 GPA
What I Do
As a full-stack web developer, I can set up every aspect of your web site from the hardware foundation, through the OS and scripting support beams, to the HTML and CSS finish to make you the perfect web site that exactly fulfills your needs, whether those needs are for a lean, efficient service advertisement page or a complex, robust Intranet for your growing online business.
- Needs Evaluation
- Concept Proposal
- Wireframe Outline
- Product Refinement
- Site Launch
I have a knack for effectively summarizing information; for finding the hook that grabs the interest, and then for arranging follow-up details concisely and clearly. It is almost an obsession for clarity of expression in English. After a lot of reading, a respectable amount of talking and a little pondering, I can craft a story that will grab attention. I can put these skills to work for you to create the most effective and clear written communication you need.
Types of Copy
- Web Site
- Press Release
- Freelance Article
- Technical Manual
Using my 10 years of experience in editing both technical and non-technical documents, I can improve the clarity and effectiveness of any document, presentation or web site. In my current position at Yonhap News I edit Associated Press-quality copy in their newsroom. In previous positions I have edited over 1,000 scientific papers at various stages of the publication process, and can advise on content, presentation and subject matter.
Types of Editing
- Web Site Copy
- Technical Documents
- Scientific Papers
- Press Releases
Said About Me
I have worked on numerous projects for scientific research institutes, local government, and the private sector, including complex international collaboration requiring significant expertise, with Matthew Weigand over the last eight years. I am constantly astonished by his virtuosity and his ability to effectively grasp the essential issues in technology and present them in a manner that can be readily understood by the layman. I would count him as the go-to man for current affairs in Korea, with a focus on technology and business.
We struggled for ages to get our website right. Then we found Matthew, and he came up with exactly what we wanted.
I founded G3 Partners in 2015 and without Matthew's help we would not have been up and running with a website in the first week of business. He understood our design and branding concept and rapidly developed the site. His collaborative approach meant we had the flexibility to influence the outcome throughout development and implementation. I can't recommend him highly enough!
I’ve had the pleasure of working with Matthew over the last three years as a managing editor, copywriter and content developer. He is a true professional and always delivers quality work in a timely manner.
Making a difference with Matthew was the most fulfilling career experience I've ever had. Not only is he a great editor who inspires writers with his branded content strategies, but he is also a maven at rebranding eCommerce to better interact with their customers. Matt thrives in a fast-paced environment where deadlines are crucial element for success, and he facilitates his team with keen and compassionate leadership.
All businesses, no matter how small need an engaging digital presence. Matthew made it easy for me to get my website up and running even as I had to focus all my efforts on managing my first market research project.
Get In Touch